It does not matter whether you speak Korean or not. It is even preferable that you do not speak or understand Korean, because speaking Korean with students might ruin the context for genuine communication in English. Furthermore, the schools as well as students want to have classes entirely in English to ensure the best possible learning experience.
  After completion of your one-year contract with your institute, you will be free to extend your employment contract with your current institute or another one.
  After you complete your one-year contract, you are eligible for severance pay and a return ticket to your country of origin from your school. However, if you leave early for any reason, you may lose those benefits as well as your work visa. This means you will only have two weeks to leave the country. Furthermore, you may be required to reimburse the school for your original airfare. You may also have difficulty finding an ESL-related job in the future, especially in Korea. Therefore, your choice of a good recruiter who knows how to connect you to a school that suits you is the key to having a successful teaching experience.
  Your school will provide you with all the teaching materials and know-how you need. Also, the senior teachers in your school will offer you friendly teaching advice.
  It depends on your school¡¯s policies, but generally you will work from Monday to Friday for between twenty-five to thirty hours per week of in-class teaching.
  Yes. You have to pay taxes in the country where you work and current rate of income tax in Korea is only 3.3% to 5%, depending on how much you earn each month. In addition, in Canada, it is possible to declare yourself a non-resident and thus avoid all obligations to pay taxes on your Korean income. In the U.S., the first US$75,000 of foreign-earned income each year is exempt from taxation. If you need to verify your employment in Korea in terms of tax-exemption, you should ask the Korean Government to issue the appropriate documentation before you leave. When it comes to detailed-tax information in your home country, you should check with the appropriate government authorities.
  If your documents are in order to receive your E2 visa, it usually takes about six to eight weeks from the time of your application. However, we suggest that you apply for your E2 Visa well in advance of your departure.
  Private teaching jobs are illegal under the E2 visa. Therefore, you are not permitted to have other jobs apart from the one you were originally hired for.
  People normally say that Korea is the best place for a teacher to save money, pay off their debts, such as student loans, and live comfortably. How much money you save depends entirely on your lifestyle and how frugal you are. However, it is reasonable to expect that you could save around $10,000 to $15,000 in a year.
  Generally, you will get paid at the end of each month based on your employment contract. Your salary will be deposited into your bank account immediately.
  It is very simple and easy. Banking systems in Korea are fast and convenient. You can use a ¡®Wire Transfer¡¯ service that can transfer money directly into your home branch whenever you need to. Just bring your passport, your account and transit numbers of your home branch. The bank representatives who speak English will be happy to help you.
  You will only have to pay for three things when applying for your job placement. First, you will have to gather the required documents, such as your original Bachelor¡¯s degree, sealed transcripts and a Criminal Background Check. Second, you will have to pay for an international courier service to send your documents to the school in Korea. Lastly, you will have to pay the fee to obtain a visa.
  Certainly. When you submit the online application form to us, please make sure you say that you will be traveling with others, so that we can do our best to place you at a school nearest to shared housing accommodations. However, the application process can take a bit longer when traveling with others.
  Yes, you can. After arriving in Korea or getting an Alien Resident Card from an immigration department, you can apply for a ¡®Multiple Re-entry Permit¡¯, which will allow you to make trips to wherever you want to go.
  There are very good public transportations systems in Korea, such as subways, taxis and buses. Additionally, public transportation costs will be inexpensive compared to those in your home country. Your school will also be in walking distance from your accommodations.
  It is certainly not required. However, if you do not have any teaching-experience or English-related degree, those certificates can help you by giving you more confidence as well as better teaching techniques. Moreover, these certificates will make you more attractive to schools. On the plus side, even though you do not have any certificates, you will have lots of fun learning how to teach and developing your skills by learning from the other teachers around you.
  Yes. It is basic qualification and is mandatory for those who wish to obtain an E2 Visa. However, it does not matter what your major is if you have a bachelor¡¯s degree or higher.
  You can find these in Teaching Conditions & Benefits under Teaching in Korea at the main menu of our website.